Read this first!
Integrating an LTI 1.3 application with Blackboard involves the additional step of registering the application in the Blackboard Developer Portal. In this instance, the application requiring registration is Apidapter. If you don't already have a Blackboard Developer Portal account, you'll need to sign up for an account before completing this step in the process.
To successfully register Apidapter as an LTI 1.3 application in the Blackboard Developer Portal, you will need an adapter URL. This step requires the creation of a new adapter specifically for LTI 1.3 integration. To do this, follow the directions to create a new LTI 1.3 adapter.
Now, on to the matter at hand.
Once you've successfully registered Apidapter in the Blackboard Developer Portal, follow the steps below to add the tool to your Blackboard instance.
- Navigate to System Admin>Integrations: LTI Tool Providers
- Click on Register LTI 1.3/Advantage Tool
- On the resulting page, enter the Client ID that was created as part of the LTI 1.3 application registration within the Blackboard Developer Portal.
- Click Submit.
On the resulting Tool Status page, verify that the values in the following fields match the information in the Blackboard Developer Portal. The values are read-only.
- Client ID - Called the Application ID in Blackboard. This ID is generated by the Blackboard application registration process.
- Name - The name by which the tool will be identified in the list of available tools.
- Description - Application (Tool) description.
- Deployment ID - Autogenerated in Blackboard after you set up the tool.
- Initiate Login URL - Managed in Blackboard Developer Portal.
- Tool Redirect URLs - Managed in Blackboard Developer Portal.
- JWKS URL - Managed in Blackboard Developer Portal.
- Domains - api.apidapter.com.
Set Tool Status to Approved. Add any Tool Provider Custom Parameters based on the third-party tool specifications.
In the Institution Policies area, select the following User settings:
- Role in Course
- Email Address
- Allow grade service access: Yes
- Allow Membership Service access: Yes
Not that you have successfully registered your LTI 1.3 tool, you can finish the setup of the placement. To do this: Hover over your Apidapter LTI 1.3 tool in your list of tool providers, and click on the drop-down arrow. From the resulting drop-down menu, select Manage Placements. On the Manage Placements page, you will see a list of placements for your Apidapter tool. Hover over your Apidapter LTI 1.3 tool placement and click on the drop-down arrow. From the resulting drop-down menu, select Edit.
On the resulting Edit Placement page, some of the information will be read-only, since that information originates from and is managed from a different area in Blackboard. The Label should be the name of the tool. The value in the Handle field should be pre-populated. At this time, the following options should be selected:
- Availability - Yes
- Type - Course Tool - Allow student access
- Launch in New Window - if you want your third party tool to open up in a new window or tab, check this box.